Monday, May 08, 2006

A prompt-story

Upset, I picked up my car keys, that I had only moments earlier flung onto the coffee table, and stormed out of the house. I needed to go for a long drive to cool off. It's one of the things I do. Drive, endlessly drive - windows open, songs (appropriate to the mood) blaring and having a cathartic reaction to whatever needs to be felt. One of my favourite stretches is not far from where I live and I couldn't wait to get on to that peaceful street, get engulfed by the darkness and simply let my thoughts filter out. That's when I heard it - a noise from the car. I couldn't help thinking "great, perfect timing".

Not thinking twice about it, I pulled to the side of the road, left the lights running and got out to check and see if it was a flat tyre. Everything seemed fine, but then I heard the thumping noise again. It seemed to be coming from the trunk and immediately urban legends flashed into my head. I told myself to stop being silly and gingerly opened the trunk of the car. In the darkness, all I could make out was a figure making panting noises. And then the figure lurched out of the trunk and I screamed.

"Get off me Jackie. Off!" My 55 lb German Shepherd almost knocked me over when she jumped out of the trunk. "How in the world did you get in there, Jackie?," I wondered. And then I had a flashback moment where I remember storming out of the house and shutting my car trunk which had been slightly open. My poor baby was in the trunk all this while. I berated myself and then got into the car, with Jackie in the passenger seat. I continued on my drive and Jackie gave me wonderful company by sticking her head out the window and enjoying the cool evening breeze.

What had upset me earlier was forgotten. It seemed silly and trite in that moment. Jackie, the healer, had done her trick again just by turning up. She was showing me what life's simple pleasures were all about. Yes, fighting is not good. Carrying it inside you is worse still. Live in the moment is what Jackie was teaching me. And for the first time in my life, I did just that.

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Kumari said...

Beautiful! It so reflects my mood right now :) I would love to take the car out for a drive and get away from my moodswings, just that I don't know to drive :(

I better post mine soon :)

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vee,
I had a long smile on my face when I read your story. Who else can I imagine in the trunk of your car ? Love our story !

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Vee said...

Kumari: you have to learn how to drive. It's liberating :) Esp. when one of these moments strikes you.

Kaskuss: lol...what can I say...I am Jackie-obsessed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home